June 3, 2010

Super Easy No Sew Curtains/Valance

Tonight I stopped into Jo-ann Fabrics on my to Homegoods. (Can I just say that those two stores next to each other is a deadly combo for me.)  I didn't need anything at Jo-ann (or Homegoods for that matter) but I like to walk through and see if any inspiration strikes.  Well today it did.  I've been wanting to put a valance up in our guest bathroom for quite some time so when I found this fabric I thought, why not?!



For $2.50, an iron, some hem tape (I think that is what it is called), scissors and a measuring tape you can create a cute little valance in a snap.  It really is easy, anyone can do it.

To start measure your window opening and cut your fabric to fit.  Just remember that you want the width to be 2 inches longer for your seam.  The length is up to you and how low you want the valance to hang.  You will also need a 1 inch seam for the bottom (not the top).







Before you begin hemming make sure to iron the fabric well.  This is important and will help your seams to be even and prevent wrinkles and gathering.  I learned this the hard way.  My mom warned me to always sew my fabrics before pinning and sewing but I am a lazy person and love taking shortcuts.  Don't skip this step.  It's not pretty.

Next, flip your fabric so the pattern is facing down.  Fold up the edge so you have a 1 in. seam and iron it in place.



I always start with the long edge first and then bring in my sides.

To secure the seam, instead of sewing, I use a hemming tape that you iron in place like so.  SOOO EASY!






Once you start hemming up the sides, you will notice that the corners are hard to pin down with all the extra fabric.  I always take a little bit of extra hemming tape and fold it up into the corner and press down extra long.






Once all the sides are hemmed up it should look like so....





.

Then it is time to add the details - ribbon.  Cut 2 strips of ribbon that are 2/3 the length of the curtain.  Wrap them around the fabric so it gathers nicely. You may want to play around with this so it lays nicely.  Sometimes I secure this with a hot glue gun but sometimes it is nice to just clip it together with a safety pin.  That way you can easily change out the ribbon if you like.





Then you're done!




You can either attach it to a pole (or sew a pocket in the beginning for a pole) or in my case, I just nail/pin/tape/staple it to the molding around the window.  No one has to know.  Well now you all know my secret - there are no secrets in the blogging world.







Now tell me that isn't easy.

I have now put these in several rooms - like the kitchen.


They are great for a space that needs color and textureNOW  but you aren't ready to fully commit to anything yet - it is cheap, fast and easy. 

Thanks for stopping by.


giveaways

20 comments:

miranda said...

Love this idea, the fabric is great!!

Unknown said...

Those are great!! I love the fabric you picked, too!
Thanks for sharing your great idea!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Awesome! I have everything I need to make myself some kitchen curtains!

the cape on the corner said...

love that! great fabric choice, too!

Jenny Kotulak said...

Thanks so much for the inspiration. I've been sitting here Googling "no sew valances" and here is your great step by step blog post. I think even I will be able to do this. Now comes another hard part. Picking the material!!

April and Roel said...

Thanks for this tutorial. I own a sewing machine and know how to sew, but just don't have the time or energy. I managed to make two of these valences in just an hour. They're hanging in my kitchen and they're gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Love it can't wait to try it! Thanks

Kelsey Apley said...

Wow, looks great never knew their was hem tape out there!! Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa said...

Genius!! I've been looking for something to do with my kitchen window, and this is it! I'm going to do it with black and white chevron fabric and aqua ribbon. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Was looking for Christmas valances in catalogs and Internet but didn't really like any patterns. Now you've given this non sewer an easy way to make them myself!! Thanks!

Carole said...

A wonderful idea, thank you so much! Your directions were clear and simple. Couldn't find the size I wanted for a valance to go over two small transoms in the kitchen.

Just made these in an oversized red gingham, and they look great! It took me maybe an hour, and I added a rod pocket.

Carole

Curtain said...

Super easy now sew curatins are shown here. Have a looka t it

Anonymous said...

Where did u get that mirrored cabinet ?

Unknown said...

“For $2.50, an iron, some hem tape (I think that is what it is called), scissors and a measuring tape you can create a cute little valance in a snap.” - What a nifty and affordable DIY! Your post definitely encouraged me to make a DIY on my own. Maybe I will make a DIY valence and add a sheer fabric that would serve as a curtain.

Roxie@WindowTreatmentsPhiladelphia.com

Lindsey said...

This is a great tutorial! I know it's been a while for most commenters, but if I want to make a rod pocket, do I just use more hem tape, or is that something I have to break out the sewing machine for?

Unknown said...

Good question. I used hem tape for the rod pocket too.

stvenmartinez said...

Thank you for this tutorial. This is best for those who are searching for sewing Curtains in Miami.

asian party wear online uk said...

To start measure your window opening and cut your fabric to fit. Just remember that you want the width to be 2 inches longer for your seam. The length is up to you and how low you want the valance to hang. You will also need a 1 inch seam for the bottom (not the top). buy pakistani lawn dresses online , pakistani lawn dresses online shopping

Barbara Nimmo said...

What a fantastic filled post you've shared! I'm always on the lookout for creative DIY projects that not only spruce up the living space but also do so without breaking the bank. Your no-sew curtains and valance idea is simply brilliant.
promocodehq

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...